Sunday, October 11, 2009

First week in Korea

My first week in Korea has been an interesting one for sure. I've already learned a lot some helpful and some just funny. One thing that i have been thoroughly impressed by is the way that Koreans welcome foreigners. I know that in the states I've gotten frustrated with non native English speakers (especially during my time at Starbucks) and now i see things completely differently. The shop owners and store workers are so understanding of my language gap it's very settling for someone who cannot understand a word of what is going on around me. I've learned that Korean tv has no commercials during the program but then like 5 minutes of them at the end. I've learned that ciggs here are far too cheap only like 2 bucks a pack. Eating with chopsticks is pretty easy to do when you don't have another option. Korean food is awesome, well i'll say most of it is. If it looks like melted cookies and cream ice cream it tastes like melted cookies and cream ice cream even if it's served on cabbage.. for real blech! Aloe juice is freaking awesome. Korean men should have joined fraternities in college and gotten their binge drinking out of the way. Also when you order a pitcher of beer in Korea expect something this big:
I will say that i love that the main brand of beer in Korea is my namesake.
I got my classroom set up and actually start teaching tomorrow. I'm so excited i can't wait.
This is the downtown where i live it's about 3 or 4 blocks from my school.

This weekend i ventured into Seoul, on my own i might add. I found that navigating a subway/bus system is no different in Korean that in English. if you don't know where you are going you find a map and follow the pictures. In Seoul i met up with my new girl Elizabeth who is a teacher from Britain. She is really nice and sweet and completely different from anyone i've ever dated before I'm very excited to see how this turn out. She's certainly the first person i've ever dated that i have absolutely no reservations about her meeting my friends and family. So that's exciting.
This is her.

Saturday she took me to see Gyeongbokgung which means Palace greatly blessed by heaven and was built in 1395 and served as the main palace of the Joseon Dynasty.
this is the entrance to the palace
the thrown

Cheesy touristy photo op!




And of course one of the places i HAD to go to in Korea is one of my favorite places ever.

Nothing like a Korean Starbucks. I love the girl in the background bogarting the picture too.
More and more updates to come about my adventures in Korea. I'm having a blast so far and i can't wait to explore more.

1 comment:

  1. Cassie I am so excited for you! It sounds like you are having a wonderful time! Thank you for sharing your experiences so that we all can live vicariously through you:). You said all the coffee is awful, was it any better when you finally found a starbucks? I've heard even they can be pretty bad abroad. Keep having fun and I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete